Wednesday 14 November 2007

Where has my Stag been?

I thought it about time I documented what I know about my Stag, after going through all the DVLA documents I received last year I have now made sense of it all

Originally supplied on 1st Jan 1978 by Halls of Finchley its first two owners were companies:

1. ATH Alden Ltd, London W1
2. Anders Electronics, London NW1 17.9.78
3. BW Read, London SW11 23.9.87
4. John Harvey Collection Ltd, Tring 29.4.89
5. D McGiffen, Bexhill 1.3.90
6. DR Waters, Whitstable 6.5.95
7. MD Brennan, Ashford 30.9.03

and finally I aquired it on 25th May 2006. So looking at all the data it has in fact been a 'South Eastern' car for most of its life, with some owners holding onto it for some time, during which it has clearly undergone some restoration. This includes new wings (shortly to be renewed again!) rear wing repair panels, reupholstery and carpeting. It also has electric door mirrors which look like a 70's Jaguar type to me.

The engine has also been rebuilt according to some letters in the history file which make reference to some work being carried out by 'Harringtons' - I assume this to be Harringtons of Hove as the car was in Bexhill at the time, and it this point tubular manifolds were fitted and the alternator moved to the nearside of the engine. I am told by Trevor at Faversham Classics that these are no longer made in this configuration and that the offside bank now has its outlet towards the rear so that the alternator doesn't require moving. Personally, I prefer it on the nearside as its easier to get to.

The car was also known to Faversham Classics when it was owned by Mr Waters and they carried out servicing, repairs and fitted the Clifford Immobiliser/Alarm system to it during his tenure.

Anyway, as you can see, I've been doodling in MS Paint and put little Brown Stags on a map of the South East - you can tell I was waiting in for the post this morning!

No comments: