Friday 30 September 2011

Spitfire Rust Removal

With the 10CR well and truly behind me , my attention has now focussed on getting the Spitfire back on the road. It has been on SORN for a couple of months now since both the tax and MOT expired. At last years MOT my tame tester (now retired unfortunately)remarked on the crustiness of the sills.

Having recently gone 'thirds' in a new gasless MIG welder with my neighbour Andy (car 48 in the 10CR) and his son in law I decided to make a start on getting the Spitfire ready for its MOT, which is planned for the end of October. A garage local to my area TSSC meeting point is opening up on our club night to show us how the MOT is carried out and the Spitfire is planned to be one of the guinea pigs!


Andy and I started on the car this week, the offside sill was not too bad, and only one patch was needed on the floor. I decided to strip the paint off the sill completely as it had suffered from brake fluid spills in the past.

The nearside sill/floor is much worse and as I write this has been prepared for 3 large patches to be welded in during the next week.


It has been a steep learning curve for me, never having touched a welder before, Andy is a good teacher and I managed some quite good plug welds today, but my seam welding leaves a lot to be desired!


Ideally, the correct course of action would be to put in a complete floor panel, and new inner and outer sills, and this may happen in a couple of years if I keep the car, in the meantime I have taken the decision to do some more 'minor' surgery to keep costs down.




No comments: