Saturday 25 September 2010

Stag Auto Box seal replacement

Had a very interesting day today. For the past couple of weeks my Stag has been leaking auto fluid from the Torque converter area following the installation of its new engine, so today I took it up to Faversham Classics where one of the owners, Trevor and I were to jointly remove the box and replace the seal. This was an education for me, I had never been in the position before where I could work on one of my cars in a properly equipped garage with Lift and all the right tools.

It was also a great help having Trevor to show me how to do it with all his knowledge and shortcuts. We started at 10.00am, had the box out by 11.30 having removed exhausts, propshaft, starter motor, gearbox mountings to name but a few of the items. The culprit was found to be the seal between the Torque Converter and gearbox, there was also a weep from the gearbox rear seal, so both these were replaced. I was surprised how warm the Torque Converter still was despite having 'rested' the car for 2.5hrs following my drive there(35miles)

Following a break for lunch, the car was ready for the drive back home by 3pm. I now know the value of having the right tools for such a job! I also have discovered muscles I didn't know I had in my arms and hands!

Yet again the people at Faversham Classics cannot be praised enough for the way they look after their customers, Trevor was very fair when it came to discussing the bill and very few bits of the folding stuff was needed.

No comments: