Sunday 19 September 2010

Car 97 RBRR - Drivers Meeting Gaydon

Made the journey from Kent to Gaydon today for the Driver's meeting for the RBRR in the Spitfire. - see above picture taken outside the entrance where I parked with some other CT cars. This is the first time its been so far north of London in my hands although it's seen plenty of service on the continent! It ran pretty much faultlessly all the way there and back, the exception being the loss of tickover at idle which was a bit entertaining on the M40 Sunday evening jam. So a swift visit to Sainsbo's in Staines to refuel and adjust the idle screw made for an easy final 60 miles home on the M25. Luckily, having worked in The Causeway in Staines for a number of years, I was able to bypass the usual Sunday evening crawl past the M3 junction by using my old route home via Thorpe Park and Chertsey.

I was pleased with the way the car ran overall, according to my Satnav the total journey was 280 miles with an average moving speed of 54mph and the fuel consumption worked out at 42mpg, if I can achieve that on the RBRR I will be very happy! The oil pressure tailed off a bit on the way home, not drastically so, but enough to suggest changing the oil to the VR1 20/50 that I bought last week may be prudent.

The Driver's briefing was good, ably performed by Tim, Nigel, Jason and a couple of lovely girls from MIND whose name I forget. Even managed to meet up briefly with my brother who has lived locally to Gaydon for 20 odd years but never been there before. He was my co-driver on the last two 10CR's but declined to do the RBRR, probably because its his birthday on 1st October and has better things to do! He is willing to do the next 10CR though, but only if we do it in my Stag, I think he wants a bit more comfort!!!

No comments: