Monday 28 September 2009

Car 9 Update!

Just come back from a nice break on the Spanish Costa Tropical expecting to see my stricken Spitfire in the local garage following its recovery from Grenoble. No such luck!

Rang the yellow van man this morning, nice chap in France called Alain - said he'd ring the recovery people and get back to me to see where the car is. 15 mins later came the call back - apologising most profusely, seems the paperwork to the recovery people had gone astray and they knew nothing about it and the car is still in the garage near Grenoble!! It is now being treated as a priority recovery case. I just want it back!!!!

Whilst this inaction was going on I and my wife and daughters had a very relaxing time in a villa near Alumnecar with lots of sun and wine! It was so nice lazing around that we only managed one trip out which was to Granada to see the Alhambra, having booked the tickets before we went. A very impressive and extensive collection of buildings.

The drive back was even more impressive, I decided against using the autoroute to travel back and took the 'old' route along the A4050 - this was an excellent choice somewhat reminiscent of some 10CR routes whereby the road started out as a good two line highway for about 20kms, then became a contour hugging 1.5 lane hairpin route for about another 30 kms before returning to a 2 lane route just before Almunecar. It was great fun for the driver (me) - not so much fun for the passengers - well I was driving a Renault Scenic and it did roll a bit, and those seats are a bit unsupportive!

Does make me think about driving the Spitfire (or Stag) down here next September instead of flying

No comments: